There are so many exciting, romantic and simple ways to get to San Juan Island. The one you choose will depend on where you are coming from and how much time and money you want to spend.
Take the Washington State Ferry
The most common way to arrive on San Juan Island is via the Washington State Ferry from Anacortes, Washington.
- Anacortes, Washington is a roughly 90-minute drive either north from Seattle, Washington, or south from Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Directions: From Interstate 5, take exit 230 following signs to Highway 20 West through Anacortes to the San Juan Island ferries.
- Ferries travel between Friday Harbor and Anacortes, Washington multiple times per day all year.
- The round-trip prices are quite reasonable considering the service provided.
- The ride is gorgeous. Vacation starts once you’re on board.
- Make reservations if you are planning to bring your car on the ferry. Or consider leaving your car parked in Anacortes. Walk-on passengers don't need a reservation and are never turned away.
- Earthbox Inn & Spa and Bird Rock Hotel are both within easy walking distance of the San Juan Island ferry landing.
- Earthbox Inn & Spa offers a courtesy shuttle with prior arrangement.
Fly to San Juan Island
The 45 minute flight from Seattle to Friday Harbor is stunningly beautiful. It saves a lot of time, is more affordable than you might think and easily accessible from anywhere in Seattle, including Sea-Tac airport.
- Kenmore Air offers several daily, non-stop flights between Seattle's Boing Field and Friday Harbor in all-weather, turbo-prop, Cessna Caravans.
- Kenmore Air also flies sea planes from Lake Union in downtown Seattle to Friday Harbor's waterfront, and offers shuttles to and from Sea-Tac Airport to and from their nearby departure areas.
- San Juan Airlines offers cost-effective flights to San Juan Island from Anacortes and Bellingham, Washington, and Victoria, British Columbia.
- Island based Westwind Aviation offers charter flights to and from anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, as well as flight instruction.
- Friday Harbor Seaplanes offers seasonal float plane trips from May to mid-October directly from South Lake Washington in downtown Seattle to the Friday Harbor marina.
- If you are visiting from Victoria, British Columbia, or want to day-trip to Victoria while visiting the island, take the shortest international flight in North America (a whooping 12 minutes) with NorthStar Air Tours.
- If you arrive on San Juan Island by plane, stay at Earthbox Inn & Spa and request a courtesy shuttle from the Friday Harbor airport, ferry or sea plane dock, available by prior arrangement.
Drive to San Juan Island
If you stay more than a couple of days on the island or come in the off-season, when public transportation is not available, it's convenient to have a car to get around. If you’re staying in town you won’t really need wheels; everything, shops, boutiques, museums & restaurants are in walking distance.
- Driving Directions: From Seattle, Washington take I-5 North, or from Vancouver, B.C. take I-5 South, to Exit 230 for Highway 20W to Anacortes, Washington and the San Juan Island ferries. Follow Highway 20 approximately 20 miles west, into Anacortes. Follow signs to the ferries, turning left at the stop light in front of the Safeway grocery. Proceed another 3 miles to the terminal.
- If you want to leave your car behind without sacrificing convenience, rental cars are available in
Friday Harbor at M&W Auto Rentals.
- Long-term parking at the Anacortes ferry terminal is inexpensive, safe and plentiful.
- The Airporter Shuttle runs a bus from Sea-Tac Airport and other Seattle and Puget Sound locations to the Anacortes ferry terminal.
- You can rent a car at Seattle’s Sea-Tac Airport and drive roughly 90 minutes north to the San Juan
Island ferries in Anacortes.
Travel to San Juan Island by Passenger only Ferry
Leave your car, fighting traffic and finding parking behind and take a scenic passenger only ferry to Friday Harbor.
- From Seattle, Washington, the Victoria Clipper passenger ferry departs once daily in season direct to and from Friday Harbor, with the option to add on a whale watch tour.