Recommended San Juan Island Activities
There is so much to do on San Juan Island that it’s sometimes hard to know where to start. Here are some favorite island activities in several categories.
- Bird Rock Hotel of Friday Harbor - Adorable historic Bed & Breakfast with newly renovated interior. Distinctive, discerning and hip
- Earthbox Inn & Spa - Retro Motor Inn, with renovated rooms and indoor pool. Playful, adventurous and imaginative
- Back Door Kitchen ~ locally sourced, international cuisine in a hidden Friday Harbor garden.
- Cask & Schooner ~ uncomplicated public house, serving local seafood & pub fare.
- Downriggers ~ Pacific Northwest cuisine on Friday Harbor's waterfront with large outdoor deck.
- Friday’s Crabhouse ~ open air restaurant serving fresh, local seafood on the bustling waterfront.
- McMillin’s Dining Room ~ Island-certified-local, elegant waterfront dining at Roche Harbor Resort.
- Topsl ~ Excellent local sushi & seafood, lovingly prepared by master Sushi chef Kasu San.
- Vinny’s Ristorante ~ gourmet Italian in a romantic setting.
- Sunset picnic at the Whale Watch Park
- Champagne and flowers waiting in your room at check in
- Deluxe King-Jacuzzi Suite for two, Friday Harbor
- Sunset Whale Watch Trip
- Bonfire at South Beach
- Tour the Westcott Bay Shellfish Farm & shuck your own oysters
- Tandem kayak tour out of Roche Harbor
- Island tour by scoot car
- Side-by-Side massage at The Spa at Earthbox
- Romantic dinner for two at the elegant Mc Millen's Dining Room
- Tasting at San Juan Distillery
- Scenic flight for two
- Stroll the galleries & boutiques in Friday Harbor
- Play on the sandy beach at Grandma's Cove
- Adopt a whale at Friday Harbor’s renowned Whale Museum
- Go on a whale watch tour
- Fly a kite at South Beach
- Hike to Lime Kiln Lighthouse & look for Orcas
- Bike to Jackson's Beach & play some volleyball
- Choose from 72 flavors of ice cream at the Friday Harbor Ice Cream Co on the waterfront
- Visit the San Juan Island Sculpture Park & make your own art
- Swim at the Earthbox Inn & Spa
- Tour the Alpaca Farm
- Look for Popeye, Friday Harbor's friendly seal, by the docks & feed her some fish
- Go for a pony ride
- Visit during the adorable San Juan County Fair
- Bike the perimeter of San Juan Island
- Explore British and American Camp National Historic Park
- Go on a 5-hour Orca Search kayak tour
- Climb Mt Young
- Take a flight lesson
- Charter a sailboat
- Take a wild ride on a zodiak and watch whales & other wildlife
- Go zip lining
- Browse the real estate listings posted on Spring Street
- Go saltwater fishing
- Bicycle to Lopez or Shaw Island
- Moped around all the islands
- San Juan Island is in the Olympic Rain-shadow & enjoys 247 sunny days each year
- Go on a Whale & Wildlife tour, any time of year
- Come for the Savor The San Juans festivities & celebrate the bounty & abundance of Fall in October
- Visit the awesome Friday Harbor Documentary Film Festival in November
- Enjoy the Festival of Lights & a huge array of fun holiday festivities in December
- Miles of beach to yourself and great room rates
- Discover local artists at the many Friday Harbor galleries
- Watch the Winter storms roaring on the Olympic Peninsula from South Beach
- Feast on local seafood
- Watch a play at the local theater
- Treat yourself to a spa day
- Dance like nobody is watching to live music at San Juan Island Brewing